Monday, February 22, 2010

Jacks of many trades, but master of none.

So there has been MANY little craft projects I've always started and never finished.  It started all in highschool.  I started sketching.  Just pencil and charcoal stuff, but surprisingly I really got a knack for it !  I was referred to the head of the art department, but chickened out.  Though I drew, and I knew I was good.  I was afraid of judgement.  I didn't wannt hear the nay sayers. So. I hung my drawings in my room and left it at that. 

I also learned how to knit and crochet.  I WISHED I could say how great I got at it, but I can't. HA !  I learned many patterns, but I never graduated from anything but a scarf. SO my dad would get a hand made scarf by yours truly EVERY single Christmas.  It's become a tradition actually, and every year.  My aunts ask what I have done this year.


I've always been a decent cook.  I cook alot at home.  I have the knack to collect my favorite recipes from dishes I've tried from friends and family, and always took that extra step to make it my own.  Then I guard that recipe with my life.  Only sharing it with people I trusted.  Outrageous!  BUT  I never try to push myself to cook/bake anything that is out of my comfort zone.  So.  I continue to collect recipes, and cook dishes I grew up with. 


(seared pork chops w/ apple & onion stuffing. 1st attempt.  Not enough color, but was still DELICIOUS!)


(Broccoli Casserole before oven)

I've always had a knack to be just good enough, but never pushed myself to go any further. So my latest obsession? PAINTING.  I saw a painting my brother's girlfriend made for his Valentine's gift.  And so we made plans to get together and she'd walk me through my first painting.  I was scared. I'll admit. I am awesome at shading. But I never thought I'd be good with color.  I had a plan of attack, albeit a very ambitious plan of attack, an attack in the end.  I wanted to make 3 canvases of different ice cream cones for the baby's room, 3 canvases of various salt and pepper shakers for my kitchen, and a puzzle piece ( yikes ! ) for Bellinda's room.  Not only did I attack this project with gusto, I squeezed out one more for my one of my best friends. They are not Picasso's, but I'm not trying to be Picasso.  I'm trying to be ME. 

(Ava's room)


(Bellinda's puzzle piece)

(S&P shakers)

(My girly loves her ladybugs.)
 

Thought I feel SUPER ambitious at this point.  I really hope I can stay on this wagon for a lil while longer. I really enjoy it, and am crossing my fingers that I can get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment